Since first learning of COVID-19, our PC government has taken decisive action to stop the spread of this virus, while ensuring the continuity of critical operations and services.
Our Framework for Reopening our Province set the conditions for the safe, gradual reopening of businesses, services and public spaces in Ontario. This included sector-specific guidelines for employers, with practical measures to help them reopen safely and keep workers, customers and the general public safe.
With these critical pillars now in place, and as the trend in COVID-19 cases declines, our PC government continues to make progress on the safe and gradual reopening of the economy. To date, the following businesses and workplaces are permitted to reopen as long as they comply with strict public health measures and operate safely during the COVID-19 outbreak:
- Garden centres and nurseries, for in-store payment and purchases
- Lawn care and landscaping;
- Automatic and self-serve car washes;
- Auto dealerships, open by appointment only;
- Hardware stores and safety supply stores, for in-store payment and purchases;
- Retail stores with a street entrance, for curbside pick-up and delivery;
- Ontario Parks for limited day-use activities;
- Additional essential construction projects that include:
- shipping and logistics;
- broadband, telecommunications, and digital infrastructure;
- any other project that supports the improved delivery of goods and services;
- municipal projects;
- colleges and universities;
- child care centres;
- site preparation, excavation, and servicing for institutional, commercial, industrial and residential development; and,
- below-grade multi-unit residential construction projects like apartments and condominiums to begin and for existing above-grade projects to continue.
Golf courses and marinas may also begin preparations for the season but are not yet open to the public.
“Ontario workers and businesses have shown exemplary cooperation and resilience throughout the course of this crisis,” said Victor Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing and Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade. “We’re beginning to ease restrictions on select businesses as we carefully and methodically re-open Ontario’s economy and continue together on our path to renewed prosperity.”
Our PC government is committed to balancing the needs of the economy and society with the health and safety of the people of Ontario.