$2.35 million research investment will help farmers safely manage livestock and improve agricultural productivity
This PC government stands with our farmers and recognizes that a strong farming sector will feed a strong recovery for us all.
That’s why we are investing $2.35 million in advanced research focused on livestock health and wellbeing as well as increasing productivity and competitiveness in the livestock sector. This investment, which is funded through the Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance, will help support livestock research projects to develop innovative methods, practices and products relating to livestock health and welfare, including:
- Identifying genetic markers to reduce disease and infections in sheep and cows
- Improving access to veterinary services and support in rural and remote areas
- Developing a surveillance program for milk tanks on dairy farms
- Examining newborn milk in the development of neonatal dairy calves
- Evaluating novel methods to prevent bovine respiratory disease
- Identifying disease-causing pathogens in sheep and goats
- Validating the use of probiotics to support the health of multiple livestock species
- Investigating alternative control measures for E. coli diarrhea in pigs
This research will provide farmers with some of the latest knowledge and tools they need to keep our farm animals healthy and our food supply safe, and is one of the many ways we’re supporting the growth of Ontario’s livestock sector.