New and expanded bridge will double capacity of existing Skyway to reduce gridlock and improve commute times across the Niagara region
NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, May 19, 2022 – Today, Doug Ford announced that only a re-elected PC government will build a new and expanded Garden City Skyway Bridge to reduce gridlock and improve commute times for drivers.
“Building a new and expanded Garden City Skyway bridge will be a game changer for the people of St. Catharines and Niagara region, getting them where they need to go faster and without the hassle of sitting in traffic,” said Doug Ford. “The Del Duca-Wynne Liberals failed to build roads, highways and bridges, leaving drivers stuck in gridlock. Andrea Horwath and the NDP are opposed to building anything.”
The project is a new multi-lane, twin bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) over the Welland Canal, which will better connect the growing city of St. Catharines with the rest of Niagara region and Ontario. In addition to the new bridge that will be built, the existing Skyway bridge will undergo a massive rehabilitation, including a full deck replacement, further expanding its capacity and improving the driving experience for commuters. Once complete, the new bridge will carry Toronto‐bound traffic with the upgraded existing bridge carrying Niagara‐bound traffic.
The new Garden City Skyway bridge will also improve Niagara region’s ability to move goods across the province by strengthening a critical strategic trade and economic corridor. This new bridge will be a crucial link between Ontario’s international border crossings at Niagara Falls and Fort Erie and the Greater Golden Horseshoe, playing an important role in boosting economic growth in the region.
“Ontarians can’t go back to the delays of the build-nothing Del Duca-Wynne Liberals,” added Ford. “The Liberals and NDP will find any reason to say ‘no’ with endless studies, reports and committees. Only the Ontario PCs will get it done for drivers and local businesses by building the Garden City Skyway bridge expansion.”
Doug Ford is the only leader with a real plan:
- Rebuilding Ontario’s economy with good manufacturing jobs, more support for small business and a mining plan that will finally open up the Ring of Fire.
- Working for workers by encouraging apprenticeships and opening up jobs in the skilled trades, allowing colleges to grant three-year degrees and increasing the minimum wage.
- Building highways and infrastructure, including Highway 413, the Bradford Bypass while investing in the 401 East.
- Keeping costs down by lowering gas taxes, getting rid of license plate stickers and removing unfair tolls on Highways 412 and 418.
- Plan to stay open by hiring more nurses, doctors and personal support workers, allowing more seniors to stay in their own homes and producing more vaccines and critical supplies like PPE right here in Ontario.
Only Doug Ford will Get it Done.